Corgi Toys is a company established in 1956 in the United Kingdom , specializing in the manufacture and marketing of scale models. The current name is Corgi International Limited . It has also been known by its previous name: Zindart International Limited . Corgi International Limited is listed on ( NASDAQ : CRGI [ archive ] ).
The Corgi brand was created by the Mettoy company based in Northampton, England. Mettoy has been manufacturing stamped sheet metal toys since 1936. Corgi’s name has been chosen for three reasons: a short, well-sounding name, its proximity to competitor Dinky Toys, and finally the association with the royal family. , follower of the dogs of the race of the same name .
The first models appeared in 1956 and were replicas of English cars of the time: Ford Consul, Austin Cambridge, Morris Cowley, Vauxhall Velox, Rover 90 …
In July 1999, Zindart International Limited, a company established in Hong Kong in July 1977 and listed on the NASDAQ since 1997, purchases Corgi Classics Limited.
In December 2006, the company is renamed Corgi International Limited. She sells her Zindart division.
In December 2006, Corgi merged with Master Replicas and was bought in May 2008 by Hornby for GBP 7.6 million 2 .
- Like any other company, Corgi has had some of the most successful models. The best-known model is the reproduction of James Bond’s Aston Martin DB5 . More than 3.9 million copies were sold.
- The most built model, 5 million copies, was the Batmobile in 1966.
Today, Corgi competes with Mattel , Hasbro , RC2 and Franklin Mint 3 .
- ↑ a and b Company profile on Zenobank [ archive ]
- ↑ ( in ) BBC News – “Hornby to buy Corgi in £ 7.5m deal” [ archive ] .
- ↑ reuters file [ archive ]